Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jeff Watanabe
Sangetsu

Japan
16 Posts
Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  8:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I developed the first roll of film shot with my Zorki 1C camera yesterday, but found that the negatives were full of white spots due to holes in the cloth shutter. I ordered new shutter curtains on Ebay, and in the meantime I have covered the holes on the old shutter with black paint.

It's a good thing that I got the extra FED 1 camera, I have been using it as a guinea pig for repairs. Last night I fully disassembled it to remove the shutter assembly, and then put it back together. It took a couple of tries to get it back together successfully, but I now know how everything fits together and works.

I finished developing and scanning the film from my test this morning. Here are a couple of samples. I was using Fuji Acros, and ID-11. The Acros seems a little slow for this camera, which made getting a sharp image handheld a little difficult. I'll use Neopan 400 on my next test.

Nicolas
Gelios
USA
57 Posts
Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  4:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job. But how can Acros be too slow with sunshine?
Go to Top of Page
Jeff Watanabe
Sangetsu
Japan
16 Posts
Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  8:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Acros was too slow because there were lots of shadows. I don't like black shadows, so I expose long enough to bring out the details which would otherwise not be visible, like the grass under the trees, or the woodwork on the bottom of the town gate. I also wanted more depth of field, which required a smaller aperture, and which made my exposure times even slower.

I don't have a separate light meter, but I have an Olympus OM4Ti camera with the spot meter feature. Using the OM4, I can spot meter up to 8 different parts of the scene, and the camera will average the readings out and give me the recommended exposure.

For these pictures I exposed at either 1/40 or 1/60 at F11.

I just loaded the camera with Neopan 400, which should work better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google