Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Paul Sokk
Paul Sokk

Australia
37 Posts
Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  8:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am awaitng arrival of FED 1b type B8 or B9 s/n 46526 body only. Although fairly common, I am hoping from seller's photos (not very sharp) and description ("little signs of use") that it's in nice original condition. He is UK based with 100% feedback and fair number of transactions but perhaps not knowledgeable...... Fingers crossed.

I'll decide when I get it but if I want to find a matching lens, I am a little bit lost as my other 2 FEDs are 1gs with coated lenses. I understand about the non-standard flange to film plane distances and the slight Leica thread discrepancy. However, all the lenses between the one turn and the coated ones (with their new f stops and 50mm instead of 50m/m) look the same to me.

My questions: Are they all the same cosmetically? Have the post war uncoated lenses (up to about 1950) been "standardised" and therefore will not easily fit and/or not corrctly locate on the 1b? Do all the prewar lenses have serial and /or batch numbers? I understand that ideally, I should be looking for a serial no close to the camera no. If there is no serial no, does anyone know what batch numbers I should be looking for in 1937 or even 1938?

Thanks in anticipation,
Paul

Milo Schekkerman
Valkir1987
Netherlands
195 Posts
Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  2:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Valkir1987's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear Paul,

You can try to find a prewar uncoated Fed lens, and hope it will match up with the correct working distance and infinity lock position. If not so, you can have the lens and body matched by a repairman. This give's the most original match.

If you have a nice working body, you can also consider to replace the lens mount (by the one from a later Fed or Zorki), have the camera adjusted at 28.8mm and have a later Coated Fed lens for it. This is more easy done.

<Are they all the same cosmetically?> Yes, but they lock up at a different position. Their optics are also the same.

If i'm not mistaken, there are some lens serial numbers collected by members in the Wiki. The serials vary and don't follow up with later/matching models. But you can try :)

Good luck with your camera!

With kind regards,

M Schekkerman
Go to Top of Page
Paul Sokk
Paul Sokk
Australia
37 Posts
Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Milo,

I have 2x1gs and a Zorki 1e with coated lenses so I would rather go the uncoated, and if possible, authentic route with this one. I understand the problems of matching and perhaps with hindsight, my impulsive buy was not such a good idea although I am not committed to a working camera at this stage of the game. Maybe later if all goes well. There does not appear to be much info on the 3.5 lens in the Wiki, unless I am looking in the wrong place. Maybe you are thinking of the FED S and it's sexy f2 lens? The relevant 1b entry has one example of camera and lens serial numbers and these are wildly different, suggesting a mismatch.

Unless more info surfaces, my plan is to ask sellers of uncoated lenses for the serial number and if I am gussing pre war,then go for it!

Thanks again,
Paul
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  04:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello Paul!

In fact, it appears we don't know much about Fed lenses. Probably Pegorari's booklet is the best to describe them.
If I can say what I know about pre war ones:
- the "1 turn" are for the 1a and the very first 1b, up to serial number 6000-7000,
- afterwards, the "half turn" is the common rule for all these lenses,
- the button for distances is small (bigger Leica ones for post war lenses)
- the position of infinity can vary from "7 o'clock" to eleven. But it has nothing to do with standardization.
- the lens must be uncoated.
- the scale of diaphragms must be the old one: 3,5-4,5-6,3....and not 3,5-4-5,6...
Coating and new scale appeared with the 1f, but some of them had the former lens.

When I need a lens like that, I do the same as you: I ask for the serial number which must be not too far from the body one. But I must say I found some un-numbered pre war lenses... As for the other number, perhaps it is a batch one, but I was unable to find any regularity with these numbers.

Anyway, if you buy such a lens to take pictures, you will have to regulate the body. Regulation was made probably one by one at the factory for prewar cameras.

The "S" cameras certainly put other questions. I always thought they were standardized at the factory. So, any lens of the new range would normally fit any S body without regulation. It would be the other main difference (the 1/1000th of the second being the first) with the regular NKVDs. It would have been stupid to make extra lenses if they were not easily usable...
To compare, Leica made in the last twenties their IC "non standard": the special lenses were regulated to only one body (same serial numbers engraved on body and lenses). Afterwards, in 1931, the whole range was standard with the IC "standard" first, then with the IID.

But it's only my guess: I am too lazy to put crossed comparisons with my 11 S and their 16 lenses! The easiest would probably be to test the rigid 3,5/50 macro wide open...

Amitiés. Jacques.

Go to Top of Page
Paul Sokk
Paul Sokk
Australia
37 Posts
Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  05:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jacques!

You have confirmed what I was only guessing at plus provided valuable additional information. These prewar lenses confuse (but seduce) me. Coated FEDs and collapsible Industar 22s and 50s from the different factories I understnd better and can generally match to the camera model type and year.

Regards,
Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google