Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK

United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  02:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to J L Princelle's book, Zenit-Es manufactured by KMZ between 1965 and 1968 did not have instant-return mirrors. The earliest camera that I have found so far is a 1968 model, and that certainly has got an instant-return mirror. Can anyone confirm that the earliest versions of the Zenit-E did indeed not have instant-return mirrors. I assume that these early versions would only be available with 39mm lens mounts. Any information would be much appreciated.

David.
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  07:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check my cameras. I should have Zenit E made in 1966, 1967, 1968. It hard to tell on sure if these cameras were modified during they life or was born this way. So I'll tell in which conditions it came to my collection. As I remember earlier cameras from 1966 had M42 lens and then later SOME cameras from 1967 and 1968, had M39 lens. Weird. Probably left over parts from Zenit 3M got to production of Zenit E.
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello David

I have one more time checked two Zenit E from 1966 (one with M39 and one with M42 mount) and I have found that both cameras have instant return mirrors. Both s/n are in the range of 66012xxx of around 27500 Zenit E's build in 1965 and 1966.

Some years ago I had discussed this question with some collectors and my conclusion was that Jean Loup Princelle was probably wrong at this point. A later modification may be an explanation, but I don't think this could be realistic because no one I have talked with ever seen such an "unmodificated" Zenit E.

The first instant return mirror was described for a Kristall 2 prototype in 1960 (?) and the Zenit 3EM prototype in 1964, maybe (or for shure ...) there exist even earlier prototypes with this mechanism. BTW: I'm only talking about KMZ cameras.

Best wishes - Guido
Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  02:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Guido,

Many thanks for checking your cameras for me. I have been searching for a long time for a non-instand return Zenit-E. Maybe I should now give up. If I see JLP at Bievres next year, I will ask him if he has ever seen one.
Best wishes,

David.
Go to Top of Page
Martti Muda
fotomuda
Estonia
155 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  03:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit fotomuda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know one zenit-E, year 66, but without flash shoe. Back is like zenit-3M camera. But also instant-return mirror.
My 66 year camera has also instant return mirror.
You can find pictures in my homepage!!!

Best, Martti
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  6:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To fotomuda
PLs send us your homepage address.
Regards LP
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Click the "My Collection" on left...

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google