Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  9:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Would someone who knows Russian and English help translate these photographic terms for me? I would like to translate these following things into English:

- мокроколлодийный способ
- броможелатиновая пластинка
- альбуминная бумага

Thanks in advance!

Vlad

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

Don't know the first term, but I think:

second term = Bromide-Gelatin Plate (referring to - Silver Bromide-Gelatin Plate)

third term = Albumin Paper

Both of these are early sensitizing methods .... the first for glass plates and the second for very thin paper like you will find used for photographic prints circa 1865 - 1890s or a bit later. I don't know Russian much ... maybe the first has to do something with a developer like Microdol or Microfine , but probably wrong about it.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bill!! That's exactly what I needed, I do know what these mean, I did not know how to say them in English but thanks for clarifying that for other members since I should've done that before... The first one is like wet plate method used sometime in 1850s before the invention of the Bromide-Gelatin plate but I want to know proper term for it. In Russian that chemical is called Kollodium but I do not know how it translates to English.

Thanks again!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  01:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
In English it is "Collodion" and it is the actual substance, I believe made from egg whites, that the silver nitrates and other sensitizing chemicals are combined with so that they can be coated onto the plate. So it is a thick viscous liquid. Sometimes the plates coated with it are called "collodion plates". They are wet plates, I believe, and are used while still wet. Once the gelatin was used instead, then it could be dried and so they became dry plates.
The albumin paper was for printing from both kinds of plates and albumin was also from egg whites and was also replaced by gelatin, and then we have 'silver gelatin' prints up to modern times.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  11:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Would someone who knows Russian and English help translate these photographic terms for me?
- мокроколлодийный способ
- броможелатиновая пластинка
- альбуминная бумага

It's simple...
"Мокроколлоидный процесс"
This process was invented by Frederick Scott Archer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Scott_Archer

"бром-желатиновая пластинка"
Invented by Richard Leech Maddocks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Leach_Maddox

"альбуминовая бумага"
Introduced by Louis-Désiré Blanquart-Évrard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_D%C3%A9sir%C3%A9_Blanquart-Evrard

Enjoy! ;)

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  1:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom, Bill thank you very much! Very helpful! I've bought a very interesting book from 1939 called "Очерки о Истории Фотографии в СССР" I'm reading right now, and I was wondering how to say these things in English... Very very Stalinist publication

Here's that book by the way:
ca
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google