Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  11:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did KMZ cameras ever come with BelOMO lenses? Is it even possible? Or if I got BelOMO Helios on my KMZ Zenit-B - it's not original lens? Stupid question, I know but had to be asked.

Vlad
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  06:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is hard to tell for sure (Zoom may know), but I have not seen BelOMO lenses standard on KMZ Zenits. Even though Zenits made by these factories were identical, KMZ was way superior in quality and workmanship.

KMZ, however, sold a lot of Zenits with Industar-50, and BelOMO - only with Helios-44. Even though the BelOMO bodies were horrible (I shot with one for many years, I know), the Helios-44 lens was OK. It was a common practice to swap lenses and have a KMZ body + Helios-44 lens.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1986 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  5:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was common come KMZ camera with BelOMO lenses. In 1966/1967/1968 practically all Zenit 3M and Zenit E both M39 and M42 exported to Brazil were equiped with Helios 44 BelOMO. KMZ body production was great and his own factory could not deliver all needed lenses. So BelOMO came to help. I did checking and tests of those cameras as soon as they arrived and can prove that. Inclusive some Fotosnipers (Zenit ES) came from Factory with pre-set Helios lenses from BelOMO. From 1969/1970 those peculiarities were no more seen. I never did note any quality difference on BelOMO lenses against KMZ. I noted inclusive a better overall finish on BelOMO lenses (before they began builtng Zenits)
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  7:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz, Ok, that makes sense then, because a lot of my Zenit 3M and Es has BelOMO lens on them... at least 2 Zenit 3Ms and 2 Zenit E (including the KMZ Olympic Moskva 80 version)... I'm sure some of them are mismatched, but the number of the cameras tells me that some of these actually came with them... I'll need to more closely look at serial #s too, to see whether the years matches up.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1986 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  7:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I am right, all these BelOMO Helios numbers began with 0000.... and this called my attention.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  7:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately one of mine is 83-something serial # so they must've been swapped. It's a Zenit E from '77

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1986 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  12:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now I remember that exacty I saw Zenit 3M 68xxxx series with matching BelOMO 68xxxx lenses. Those lenses were much more common on Zenit 3M than on Zenit (both M39 and further M42). These lenses together KMZ Helios were in blach finish. BelOMO differs in having chrome squares in the focusing barrel. A hogher eye-catching dappearence. These lenses replaced the previous 3M which came with KMZ all aluminium mount. I am remembering the evolution (production changes of some detais) of each of the arriving lots.- very interesting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google