Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Steve
Bull Halsey

USA
229 Posts
Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  7:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received my package from Moscow Photo this afternoon containing the Sputnik Camera we were discussing a couple weeks back.

The finish looks quite nice. The advance and rewind knobs as well as the shutter release and lens have been polished to a mirror-like appearance. The Industar-26m focuses quite smoothly. The serial number of my camera is 00037. This is screened on the baseplate.
The body finish appears to be a flat black enamel. The body "covering" is painted a nice dark blue with a red Sputnik emblem screened on top of the viewfinder. The lenscap is screened with an attractive Sputnik design. I cannot read what's imprinted. Maybe someone would be kind enough to translate it for us?

The camera was placed in a FED-2 eveready case. Nothing special. All in all a very nice addition to my collection. I'm pleased.

Steve

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,
Sounds nice. The photos of Vlad's Sputnik-Zayra seem to have an engraved number on the bottom plate as well as engraved 'Red Sputnik" on top and engraved design on the lens cap. Is yours different ... with these designs being silk-screened instead on engraved (and filled in with paint)?

Just asking because I was thinking of getting one and also this will probably be the same maker as the 'USSRPhot.com' commemorative cameras we are considering.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  9:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Steve! Didn't know you got one as well.. a purchase well worth the money paid if you like good craftsmanship.

Bill, they're all engravings filled in with paint.. Mine is #00034. . All in all this seems like a good user as well as decent looking camera.. I'm actually considering taking it with me to France to shoot with since it's so smooth.. it's a choice for me between my buttery smooth FED-S (thanks to Fedka! ) and this one...

I will finalize design for our commemorative camera this weekend and send it off to the maker.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  9:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cap says: "The launch of the first in the world artificial satellite of Earth".

The front of the camera says: Sputnik and FED
The top says "USSR"
The back says: "4.10.1957"" and "The launch of first satellite"
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  02:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad, thanks for translating everything. That helps a great deal.

Concerning the lettering and design, it sure looks like screening to me but with my lousy eyesight I could be wrong. If that is engraving then this item is by far a greater value, actually engraved or screened, it was nice to see the amount of work that went into it. If these are the folks who will be producing our camera then we should be very happy.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  2:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

I found one of my magnifiers and can now see the engravings. What they did was paint the camera and then engrave the design as well as all the lettering into the paint. A nice job indeed.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google